Westhampton Beach Middle School
National Junior Honor Society
The Westhampton Beach Middle School Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society conducts its activities in accordance with the Constitution of the National Organization. To be eligible, a student must have a cumulative GPA of 93 or higher with no grade lower than 85 on quarter 1 and quarter 2 of their eighth grade academic year. A faculty council then reviews each candidate in order to determine if the youngster has demonstrated the characteristics of leadership, service, character and citizenship. The faculty council is appointed annually by the building principal. The principal does not serve on the council. Those students who are found to possess all of the required characteristics shall be invited to membership and inducted at the annual induction ceremony. The Honor Society members will perform twenty-five hours of community service.
Once a student is determined to be scholastically eligible for NJHS, the faculty council then reviews each candidate in the areas of character, service, leadership and citizenship. The following list is a guide to the required characteristics at a level consistent with early adolescent development:
1. Takes criticism and recommendations without being defensive.
2. Has a high standard of honesty and reliability.
3. Shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others.
4. Follows instructions and rules willingly.
5. Uses time wisely.
6. Actively works for good.
1. Involved in non-school service activity.
2. Volunteers and is dependable.
3. Is responsible and works well with others.
4. Renders enthusiastic service to the school.
1. Is resourceful and contributes suggestions.
2. Has ideas to improve school life.
3. Encourages positive behavior in others.
4. Exemplifies positive qualities, attitudes, and academic initiative.
5. Shows leadership in the classroom, school activities, and in the larger community.
6. Is dependable.
1. Understands importance of civic/service involvement.
2. Has a high regard for freedom, justice, and the rights of others.